Buy cherries onlineOur eight hectare orchard produces some of the biggest and best tasting cherries in Tasmania. We pick and pack all our own fruit grown under favourable conditions throughout December, January and February.
Our road side cafe sells freshly picked cherries 7 days a week during the cherry season or you can buy cherries online and we will deliver them direct to your door.
We are the only cherry stop on the Midland Highway between Launceston and Hobart so come and enjoy the combined cultural and historical experience at Somercotes with a food experience associated with cherries.
Jams, sauces and chutneys are made in our small commercial kitchen at our roadside shop. Using traditional recipes, the preserves are made from whole fruit with no added preservatives. Stop for a coffee and a cherry muffin!
The varieties we grow are:
- Burlat – This is our earliest variety. Available in early December it is a large bright red fruit.
- Vega- White fleshed large and very sweet. This is becoming a very popular pre Christmas variety
- Chelan – An early fruit with mahogany red skin and a beautiful flavor.
- Van – A shiny red cherry that everyone loves.
- Stella – Dark red and sweet. This attractive heart shaped fruit is available in early January.
- Lapins – This variety follows Stella with large sweet fruit with deep red colour. Massive in size and taste.
- Simone – Like Lapins these are large and sweet.
- Sweetheart – Large crunchy red fruit with dark red sweet flesh.
We have quality assurance programmes in place to ensure you eat the best possible fruit and are Freshcare registered.